07 September 2008

My journey to Taiwan


My plane left Vienna at the 5th of September at 9.30am to bring me to Taipei. It was a long and tiring journey with one stop at Abu Dhabi to refuel the hungry tank after 5 hours.
I saw the palm islands from the sky and most of the big constructions around the city ...that's an absolutely crazy world! (I have to come back here at some point :) After buying some emirates dates we carried on toward the east. It took about 8 more hours of flight during the night to get to Taipei finally. My volunteer student (Anna) had been already waiting for me with one of her friend (Teddy) and they brought me to my accommodation. It's called Prince House, a completely new building situated very close to the university campus. When I finished the dorm registration I got my keys...jupeee!! The room is very nice, it has a bathroom and a fridge as well. But the brand new rooms have also some drawbacks: there were no mattress or bedding on the bed....nice, isn’t it? I was so exhausted at that point, but as I didn’t have to much choice...we went to a super market to do a big shopping! In the meantime Anna had to left to go to her German class ! (That’s also amazing! Although the presence of Germans is obvious...) So I did the shopping with Teddy’s help. The prices seems to be quite interesting...the transportation or renting a scooter is very reasonable in Taipei but all the small things in a shop are so unreal...why is it that the milk costs 3 or 4 times more than in Europe? Strange things...but I have to get used to it! –as Teddy told me when I was nattering...: )
Anyway, my first impression on Taiwanese people is very positive. They are amazingly helpful even if their English is poor.
On the way back we dropped in a mobile shop to buy a sim card. After packing out in my room and had something (homemade sausage) to eat I was sleeping ...and sleeping...and sleeping as a child until the next morning!

1 comment:

Shihchuan said...

well, milk in Taiwan is expensive, I think, because we don't produce them in large amount and because we can't transport them from a long distance. :)